Tuesday, August 9, 2011

9 Years and Counting


Today Nate and I celebrate our 9th wedding anniversary. There are few words that can express the love and joy I have experienced over these past years since our life together began. We have shared so much together in our 9 years; love, laughter, sorrow, heartbreak, joy, gratitude, quiet times, loud times, good times, not-so-good times. I so much appreciate having someone who compliments my personality so well,someone who balances me out, someone who uplifts me- and someone for whom I can do the same. We never let a day pass without expressing our love for one another. How blessed we are to have each other!

So, that all being said, I have a little gift-y for my hubby. It's a little silly, but I thought it might be fun to share. Here's a little background on it: I have been very interested in Abraham Lincoln lately, I'm not really sure why. I read a book about him that I really enjoyed and he has just been on my mind. For some reason today, while thinking about my anniversary, the Gettysburg Address came into my mind, so I looked it up online and read it, then inspiration hit. My creative juices started flowing and here's what I came up with. Consider it sort of my re-newed wedding vows. Enjoy!

My Anniversary-day Address

Two children and nine years ago, before we were a mother and a father, we came together and formed (on this continent) a new family, conceived in Love, and dedicated to the proposition that husband and wife are equals.

Now we are engaged in a great relationship. We've tested whether or not our marriage, based on love and equality, can long endure. We have met great battles in these tests. We have come to dedicate a portion of those battles as opportunities for us to grow and unite. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we will not disregard, we will not overlook, we will not forget, the good times. These years have been consecrated with the outpouring of love and blessings from which we cannot detract. To the world our story is but a little note, easily forgotten by many. But it is our story, to be dedicated here, to ever be unfinished as new pages are added each advancing year and throughout eternity. We are dedicated to the great task remaining before us- that from our honored faith we take increased devotion to the cause of teaching love and respect to our children through our examples and our kind words- that our marriage, our family, under God, shall not perish with the Earth.

No comments: