Thursday, June 25, 2009

But wait! I'm not ready!

I'm beginning to think that Noah has got me completely spoiled as far as children go. I'm not saying he's perfect or anything (he and I each have our less-than-perfect moments on a nearly hourly basis), but he is the child of self transition. When he was 12 months and 2 weeks I was able to stop breast feeding him and get him to eat solid foods within a few days. Just a few months ago he decided he was done with his crib and started sleeping in the twin bed we had in his bedroom. Now it seems he wants to use the potty. We purchased (Nate purchased) a training potty for Noah when he was 15 months old and I decided I'd let Noah sit on it while I used the toilet and while I started getting his bath ready. I figured it'd be a no-pressure way of introducing him to the wonderful and mysterious world of potties. However, for the past month or so Noah has been asking to use the potty and I find myself saying, "But I'm not ready to potty train you." I let him sit on the potty when he asks (he even goes potty some of the times after he asks), we read stories about potties while he's on the potty, and we talk about the potty while I change his diapers, but should he really be potty trained at 19 months? I know there's no harm in him starting early, but can Nate and I potty train him now without stressing him and ourselves out? I went to the library and picked up a potty training book that I found to be really helpful (The Playskool Guide to Potty Training) and from this book I was able to come up with a slow, steady potty training plan I think both Noah and I can live with even if he isn't totally potty trained until he's 30 months old. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Tyson, Jaqline, & Cannon Kunz said...

First of all it totally can be done. I was 100% potty trained at 18 months. I think as long as the child is ready and like you said... no pressure. If he is just having too many accidents then wait a little while longer. I was actually planning on buying oner this week to start doing the same thing. You know just like you said, introduce it to him, let him sit on it read books about it ect.
Good Luck