It's March and spring is on its way! February went by so fast and we had a really great month. Crews have been working away on the house so that meant I had to try and find things to do outside the house to keep us busy. The nice thing about living in a big city is that there is plenty to do nearby. I found the library and the kids and I have started going there for story time each week- we've also gone there after school so that Noah could have a quiet place to do his homework when we were trying to stay out of the house so the workers could finish up at the house (which they still haven't :/). We walked to places near our house, just to get out and one day we walked to Noah's school to pick him up (it was 25 degrees F, but it didn't feel all that cold because the sun was out). We also spent some time at the play place in the mall on cold days and at a few different parks when it started to warm up, which it has. Here are a few pictures from some of our outings:
Porter and Holland enjoying doughnuts from a nearby doughnut shop, we walked here and had lunch, then walked to Noah's school afterward. This place sell triangle-shaped doughnuts.
On another day, the crews were working late-ish at the house, so after Noah's school day ended, we stayed and played at the park across the street from his school. The kids really had fun there.
The weather in February was a little different than I was expecting. Usually February, especially the beginning of the month, is pretty cold and, at least in Benson, if we got snow, that is when it was most likely to snow. We did get snow, and hail, and rain, but less than I thought we would. No complaints here! Here is Holland after we did get some snow, she's shoveling with her very own snow shovel. The snow has since melted away- we don't have even the slightest bit left in our yard, but I think we did have the most snow left behind for the longest time just leftover in the front yard from the snow fort the boys built, but that too has since melted away.
The most special event in February was that my parents came for a visit! It was so great to have them here. I was really hoping that the work on the house was going to be finished by the time they came, but it worked out just fine anyway. My parents helped out a lot with getting some things repaired and organized. It was such a nice visit. I wonder who will come visit next...
Before they even came to our house, I met my Mom and Roy at the Bean Life Science Museum at BYU in Provo. It was a really great place to meet and enjoy together- Porter keeps asking to go back and we plan to so that we can show Noah and Nate all the neat stuff. It's really kid/family-friendly and it's totally free (entrance and parking). There were a lot of impressive displays- the museum is a collection of some one's (Monte L. Bean's) private hunting trophies of exotic animals from all around the world. There were other things on display as well. I think I was most surprised by the Boyd K. Packer Art Exhibit. I knew he carved birds and drew, but I didn't realize the extent to which he took that hobby, or his true talent in it. It was really special to see so much of his works of art. While we were there, they were just setting up a Nature Photography Exhibit, I didn't get to walk through, so that's one I want to go back and see. Here are some photos from the museum:
Porter is trying to make his mouth look like #14 (above him), the mouth of a fly. This was in an insect display- the kids could look at the closeups on the wall in black and white and try to guess which insect it was.
There was a neat little play place for young children in the museum. It was located right in the center, so we stopped to play there a few times to get some energy out before walking another section. The area looked like a little forest area. Here's Holland sliding out of the giant bird's nest:
Here's Porter crawling out of the cave:
He said there was a bear sleeping in there, but I was too afraid to check ;)
After the museum, it was time to head up to our house. I picked up Noah from school and we began work on dinner. Noah wanted to make dinner for my parents while they were here (and for a Cub Scout requirement) and he chose to make lasagna. He made the best lasagna I've ever had! It was so good and I think I would be happy if he made this meal for me at least once a month. He also chose to make garlic toast and green beans to go with it. Everyone was impressed by his skills in the kitchen! Here's Noah with his lasagna:
Yum! I think I know what I want for my birthday dinner now.
Like I said, it was a really great visit. We played and explored together. We chatted and joked. It was perfect. Here are my parents with the kids.
The weather has been beautiful for the past few weeks. Noah has been out riding his bike, Porter has been riding his scooter, and Holland has been out on the wiggle cart almost daily for weeks now. It's wonderful!
This picture makes me happy :)
Holland wearing as many dresses/skirts as possible, as usual. This girl loves to dress up. She is almost always wearing one of her dress up skirts with whatever outfit she has on for the day as well as some kind of head wear, usually a tiara, but in this picture it happens to be another skirt that she is wearing as a veil- or she would say "sparkly hair".
Now that the weather is just so beautiful, I am thinking more and more about what to do on the outside of the house. I really want to plant a garden. I've been starting to plan out what I'd like to start with. I think I'll wait, though, before I plant anything. The weather seems a little too good to be true, so I'm waiting for the one last storm, or, at least until the actual beginning of spring. I may do some starter seeds indoors though for now. Noah and I spent a good chunk of our Saturday morning raking leaves- all the leaves that had fallen off the trees before the snow fell and before we lived here. It was a lot of work, but our yard looks so nice now. One thing I found funny was that Noah kept complaining about how hot it was while we were working. It was only 55 degrees F! I don't think I've ever thought of 55 degrees F as hot before, but I did feel pretty warm while we were out there working. It's strange how you get used to things you never thought you would. I am excited for spring to come.
Some really great news we have is that both Noah and Porter were admitted to our top school choice for the 2016-2017 school year. We're really excited for this opportunity for the boys. I really think this is going to be a great fit for them and I know they are going to learn so much there.
This month,we have my birthday, spring, spring break, and Nate's work grand opening to look forward to. I think it's going to be a busy and great month!
No comments:
Post a Comment