Friday, December 11, 2009

Getting in the Christmas Spirit

I am so in love with this Christmas season right now. I don't know exactly what it is but I am enjoying every moment of Christmas cheer in my home. It may have something to do with Noah's excitement about the decorations and talk of the mysterious "Santa" (I've been waiting for this for 2 years now) or just to do with our attempt to keep the focus on Christ. A few nights ago, after Noah went to bed and before Nate returned home from his mid-week activity with the youth in our Church, I quickly wrapped a few presents and, when Nate arrived home, he turned on some Christmas music that was given to me by a friend (thank you Allie, I love it) and it really felt like Christmas. Then, the other night, Noah and I blasted some Christmas music and danced around the living room and played with toys, it was so fun! We decorated the house (inside only with the exception of a Merry Christmas door hanger) the first week of December and brought out our collection of Christmas stories. We read at least one Christmas story with Noah each night before bedtime and that too helps bring the spirit of Christmas in our home. We've been talking a lot about "baby Jesus" and Noah has been playing with the nativity set we have in his bedroom, naming each of the characters present for Jesus' birth. I also wanted to tell you about one story we have in our Christmas book collection, one I think everyone should have in their home. It's called Father and Son: A Nativity Story and it's by Geraldine McCaughrean. It's a wonderful story that tells Joseph's version of the nativity. It beautifully depicts the humility and meekness of the man chosen to raise the son of God. If you're having trouble getting into the Christmas spirit, this is a must read. I usually don't think of this as a good thing, but this book makes me tear up every time I read it. It's just such a tender portrayal of the birth of Christ. I bought it last year at Borders Bookstore after Christmas, when it was on clearance, but it is so worth whatever the full price is.

No comments: